Chelsea dating louie

In 1981 Richard Grange retired and Mr Alan Barraclough took over as headmaster, and in 1994 Aberdour School became coeducational and opened a pre-preparatory section, and then a nursery to start at 3 years old. The first school in the district for children between the ages of 11 and 14, it was built on land that was formerly part of the Nork Estate, founded by Sir Christopher Buckle in the 18th century.The school's first headmaster was Edward Gale JP, chairman of Banstead Urban District Council, who had a staff of nine. The first entry in the school log is dated April 5 1937 and is by Edward Gale: "This new Boys School opened this morning in new building....." see also 'Houses' This was a large Victorian house built about 1862 with other buildings and grounds."Picquets Way School" opened in the 1930s and consisted of 2 teaching blocks, a hall, library, kitchen, canteen, gymnasium, sports hall and an administration area.As at 2008, all the original buildings are still standing and are used today much as they were intended for when built some 70 years ago.The advertisement on the right was printed in BANSTEAD The official guide published by Burrows.In 1932, Heath House, as it was known then, and most of the grounds were purchased by Miss Sabine Paisley and Miss Wagstaffe, who opened a private school for girls called Greenacre.In 1974 the school was closed and the property sold for development as the High Beeches Estate.

Although BHRG has a copy of the school prospectus, very little else is known about the school or its pupils.

The image on the right shows the original Beechholme publication which is no longer available. It can be purchased on-line or from the IBIS bookshop in Banstead High Street. It did not sell, but was rented by Mrs Mary Davies, then principal of a ladies' college in West Norwood.

See also SPECIAL FEATURE on the school which includes numerous pages of memories and photographs as well as helpful tips on how to apply for personal care records from the LMA (1930 to 1965). She changed its usage to that of a girls' boarding school, known as Garratts Hall School, which proved highly successful.

The original buildings stood on land that was formerly part of the Nork Estate, founded by Sir Christopher Buckle in the 18th century. The regime was tough, but not altogether unlike that of paying residential schools of the time.

Created in Fir Tree Road in 1879 as a Residential School for poor children from the slums of Kensington and Chelsea and run under a 'Village' system. Later, children came from other parts of London and the London County Council took over responsibility, followed by the Wandsworth Borough Council.

Leave a Reply